In the past, hearing evaluations and fittings for hearing aids consisted mostly of a series of beeps and noises. Today, Audiologists are equipped with new technologies and methods to make the hearing evaluation process and hearing aid programming process more effective.
One of the most advanced technologies available is live speech mapping, a method of fitting hearing aids using speech as a stimulus to help the Audiologist adjust hearing aids to the right settings for each wearer. Live speech mapping makes fitting appointments more scientific and objective, which can reduce the number of office visits required for successful hearing aid programming.
What is live speech mapping?
Live speech mapping is a Real-Ear Measurement or verification method that is used to ensure that your hearing aids are programmed for your individual needs. With this method, small microphones are placed into the ear canal and are used to measure the response of the hearing aid (in your ear), taking into account the natural and individual characteristics of both your ear and your hearing loss.
Your Doctor of Audiology will have high-tech equipment that will allow him or her to “see” what you are hearing through your hearing aids on a screen in real-time. The results may also be displayed on a wall-mounted screen so that you can also see the adjustments and participate in the process. This allows both you and your family members to visualize and understand the differences that hearing aids can make in your hearing ability.
Benefits of live speech mapping
Live speech mapping is known for its accuracy. Without speech mapping verification, other methods to program your hearing aid may require additional adjustments. Live speech mapping increases the chances that your hearing aid programming will be done correctly on the first try.
Live speech mapping also creates a much more positive fitting experience by allowing both you and your family to see the immediate results of your hearing aids and their positive impact on your ability to hear. Both you and your family will be engaged in the fitting process, making it a joint affair.
If you have a hearing loss, you may not be able to fully understand what you can and cannot hear, and therefore, you may not understand everything you are missing. With speech mapping, you will have the ability to hear the improvements immediately, and you will be shown exactly what you can and cannot hear in real-time.
Benefits of Real-Ear Measurements:
- The MOST IMPORTANT step in the hearing aid buying & fitting process. Real-Ear Measurements provide scientific and objective verification, ensuring appropriate amounts of amplification are prescribed for your specific hearing loss. Without Real-Ear Measurements, successful outcomes cannot be guaranteed and pose risk of over/under amplifying sounds.
- Focuses on the important and basic function of being able to effectively hear human speech
- Engages both you and your family in the fitting process
- Provides immediate and tangible results
- Shown to increase successful outcomes of fittings
- Increases your confidence and comfort in using your new hearing aids
- Provides more accurate programming of hearing aids
- Reduces number of return visits
Contact Affordable Audiology & Hearing Service to find out how Real-Ear Measurements can provide you with a more enjoyable hearing aid experience.